Thursday, April 7, 2011

She Said Yes!

I sincerely apologize for the lack of blogging as of late, but in this instance, I feel like I have some good reasoning.

It is with great pleasure that I announce the fact that I am now engaged to my girlfriend of (nearly) three years, Julie Larson.



Julie and I went to Edmonton earlier this week to watch the Canucks and Oilers play. For those interested, here is a brief summary of our trip together.

We left for Edmonton on Monday night. En route I told Julie that we would be staying for two nights at the Fantasyland Hotel in Edmonton. Originally I told her that we were staying with family friends in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. She was thrilled with the surprise.

When we got to Edmonton I was told that we had received a free room upgrade at the hotel. Instead of a normal Executive Suite, we were moved to a Roman theme-room.

That night, Julie and I went to Bourbon Street at the mall, and had a few drinks to celebrate our arrival.

The next day we enjoyed a buffet breakfast, and some shopping at the mall. We ate lunch at one of the finest establishments ever created, Hooters!




After lunch, we headed to Rexall Place. We got there nice and early so that Julie could take photos of the warmup. We also got some photos with The Great One!









After the game, we went to Whyte Ave. with my good friend Mitch Czibere. Together the three of us had some laughs, shared some stories and killed some time before the big moment.

Right around this point in the evening, I'm starting to feel very nervous, knowing full well what's about to happen.

Mitch very kindly dropped us off at the hotel, and as we went up the elevator I knew that it was time.

Julie walked into the room first, and immediately she noticed the champagne on ice, and the rose petals scattered throughout the room. When her back was turned, I grabbed a small box out of my backpack.

I got down on one knee, and asked Julie to marry me. She said Yes and we officially became engaged!

I gave her a ring that used to be long to my Mom. Before my Mom passed away, she made it clear that she wanted me to give her ring to Julie. I told Julie that my Mom's ring was to be a 'symbol' of our engagement, before she got her engagement ring.

Several phone calls were made, and statuses were changed on faceook. We capped the night off with some champagne and a jacuzzi.

The next morning we ate breakfast, made some more calls, and we decided to head back into the mall to investigate how much if would cost to size the first ring.

We decided to go to Peoples in the mall, and while we were heading towards the store, I told Julie to look at some rings, and if she saw THE ONE, that I would get it for her.

She did:



So Julie ended up getting two rings instead of one! But the one posted above is her engagement ring. This weekend we're off to Saskatoon to get both rings sized, so that she can wear her engagement ring, and my Mom's ring as a symbol of her approval and love.

We got back into North Battleford last night at around 5:30, and we were both back at work today.

The two of us continue to be peppered with congratulatory phone calls and messages, and for that we are extremely grateful. We've agreed that we're going to tie the knot during the summer of 2013. This way we have plenty of time to plan and get set for the big day.

I want to say thanks again to everybody who has supported our relationship. Julie and I have so many fond memories here in the Battlefords, and I felt compelled to share this good news with you via the blog. Hope you enjoyed reading it, as much as I enjoyed living it earlier this week.

Dan and Julie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dano, Congrats on the engagement.. Hope you will stay in the Battlefords for years and you and your wife to be can live a great healthy life... Congrats...

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your fiance. The Canucks though lol.

- Brad M.

Mitchell Blair said...

And you can always remember that on the night you got engaged that the Oilers beat the Canucks. LOL!!!!

Congrats Danno!

So will the wedding be during the 1st or 2nd intermission of a Stars game and can we show it on Access?

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the 2 of you... A very exciting time for the both of you. Dan.. I was also wondering if you could like give a little update on how the stars spring camp is going?? Who looks good? Who are some of the players at camp??

Anonymous said...

I went there and watched a scrimagge today. Very impressed with some of the players at camp.. A couple real stand-outs..

Dan O'Connor said...

I'm in Saskatoon right now, but I caught some of camp earlier today. I'll be at the final game tomorrow morning as well, and I'll post a Spring-Camp recap probably sometime tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning.