Tuesday, June 23, 2009

AGM Recap

The Battlefords North Stars held their AGM on Monday, June 22 at the North Battleford Civic Center. Here's what we now know thanks to the AGM:

- The North Stars have technically made a profit from their 08-09 season. They came up nearly 6000$ dollars in the black, and are gunning for an even more promising season in 09-10.

- Ken Pearson's contract has been extended for another season, and Star's fans can look forward to at least two more seasons with Ken Pearson manning the helm.

- Former President Greg Gryba will remain on the Board of Directors, and Ray Adelman will take over the duties as Board President.

- The new boards and glass at the N.B. Civic Center have been isntalled (almost completely) and fans can look forward to a better view and better visual presentation of the hockey product. The black netting that once surrounded the penalty box's and player's benches will be GONE when hockey season begins.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Personal Take on the AGM

- The Battlefords North Stars need YOU! Seriously. The Stars came (approxomitely) $125,000 short of breaking even this season because of hockey operation costs. The only reason why the Stars are making a profit is thanks to the volunteers who help facilitate the Fishing Derby, Ag Project and Golf Tournament. If 400 more fans decide to attend North Star games on a regular basis, this team will be in much better shape! The team seemed to average around 600 fans per game last year and I think you and I both know that we as a community can do better.

You're claiming that tickets are too expensive? Give your head a shake. Compared to other teams throughout the league, the Stars have one of the cheapest season ticket packages available.

During the playoffs there was close to 1200 people in the Civic Center for Game 6 of the Itech Semi-Final against Humboldt? Where were these people during the regular season?

Ask the Humboldt Broncos how much their fan support has helped their success over the years. How about in Flin Flon where they have some of the most passionate fans in the game? Have you ever watched a game in Melville? The rink might be shabby, but the fans are loud and numerous! I've been in the Battlefords now for nearly two full years, and I know that we are capable of more than what we have been giving. I assure you, if the Stars could average 1000 fans per game during the regular season, this team would wlll themselves to the top 3 of the Itech Conference. Quote me.

- I think it's awesome that Ken Pearson's contract has been extended. He's proven to be fearless, passionate and determined to make the Stars a contender again. I'm stoked that the Board of Directors agrees, and it will be great to have at least two more seasons of Ken Pearson hockey in our area.


- I'd like to thank Greg Gryba for his two years of sevice as the Board President. Those that have followed this team passionately over the past two years know that Greg's job wasn't easy. This team won 20 games in the regular season over the past two-years, and he continued to be positive and supportive. Greg never once turned down an interview with me, and I look forward to speaking with you further. You're service to this team will not be forgotten, and I'm grateful that you decided to let your name stand for another year.

- The new boards and glass at the Civic Center look amazing. The Civic Center looks better than ever, and I hope that fans will make the effort to come and check out the changes. A big recognition is in order for Martin Smith and Stew Demmons who approached City Council in order to kick-start these changes. You both deserve a ton of recognition, as does the City. It will be much easier to see the action from the broadcast booth know that there is much less black netting surrounding the ice surface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Midget AAA's Announce Their New Assistant Coach

The Battlefords Midget AAA Stars have announced today that Derek Schmidt (North Battelford) has been named the Assistant Coach to the newly named head-coach Martin Smith.

"Derek and I share the same hockey philosophy. Years back, I was given an opportunity, and it feels good to provide somebody else this type of opprotunity," said Smith earlier this morning.

The Midget AAA's will certainly have their work cut out for them in order to get back into the playoffs in a very tough Midget AAA league, but I wish these two the best, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming hockey season on both levels. It's only June!!! Yikes.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I played slow-pitch tonight and went 2-3 at the plate with 3 RBI's. I think I've already contributed more in five games this year than I did in 10 last year! I've got a great team, and a fun group of guys.

I've shaming myself tonight by admitting that I split my shorts tonight when I tried to dig out a grounder at 3rd base. We won the game though, so that's all that matters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thrilled with the early traffic volume that this blog has accumulated. Tell your friends, and keep visiting. I assure you that updates will keep coming as long as their is something relevant and cool to talk about.


I'm still waiting for my first official follower though, Who wants to be the first??

Goodnight, and thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Craig Stein said...

I'll take that plunge... as you were also MY first follower. Guess you could say we took eachother's cherries!