Saturday, April 24, 2010

Some Personal News.

What an exciting time of year. We are a week away from the Royal Bank Cup, the NHL playoffs are in full swing, and the weather has been (for the most part) fantastic. But today, all of those things have taken a back-seat in my life.

I got a call this morning from my Dad informing me that my Mom has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. They got the news on Thursday after a CT Scan revealed cancerous spots in her stomach. A meeting has been scheduled for early May and shortly thereafter she's likely going to begin chemotherapy.

This isn't her first time down this road. A year ago she was diagnosed with cervical cancer, but she had a successful procedure and the harm was removed.

For cancer to reappear in her stomach comes as an obvious dissapointment to everybody involved. I confess that right now I'm filled with an enormous amount of emotion and all I want to do is fly to Vancouver and give my Mom a thousand hugs.

But the reality is that we are very EARLY in the process. We won't know until May how severe the cancer is, and right now under the circumstances she is pain free and is doing as best as one can. My parents have instructed me to stay positive, to keep living my life as I have been living and hopefully my Mom is a part of the 50% of folks who can endure this type of thing and survive it.

I write this on my blog with their blessing for a few reasons:

- Writing has become a great source of therapy for me over the past two years.
- If more people know, more people can pray and encourage.
- Sometimes we all need to be reminded about how fragile life is, and how quickly things can change. Last night I saw a great concert, watched my (second) favourite team ever win 7-2 in the Playoffs and yet I would trade all of that and then some to have my Mom cancer free.

My Mom's name is Nikki, my Dad's name is Martin and if you can find time in your day to throw up a quick prayer or two I would be forever grateful. I promise to keep you posted as I learn more. Our mothers are all the most beautiful ladies in the world, and here's hoping that My beautiful Mom will live for many, many more years.

Thanks for your time guys.

2 comments:

Saskgolf said...

We are all here for ya, tell your family to take care and they are in our prayers.

Pappy said...

So many new remedies have been found to cure cancer so keep the faith. We will keep your mom in our prayers and pray for her speedy recovery. God Bless.