Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cougars Take Down Thunderbirds 3-2 in Shootout.

Friday night in Seattle the Prince George Cougars snapped their six-game losing skid with a 3-2 shootout victory in Seattle. Charles Inglis scored with 38 seconds left jin regulation to tie it, and also scored in the shootout to help lift the Cougars to victory. Drew Owsley continued his mastery of the Seattle Thunderbirds by stopping 32 of the 34 shots he faced, plus all three shootout attempts.

The Cougars opened the scoring just 55 seconds into the game. Seattle won a faceoff in their own zone, but Greg Fraser grabbed a loose puck at the side of the net, and shoveled it underneath Calvin Pickard to give the Cats a 1-0 lead. For Fraser it was his seventh of the season.

The first period was a back-and-forth stanza with both teams getting a ton of opportunities. Drew Owsley came up big early for the Cougars who got into some penalty trouble. The Cougars had to kill off a 40 second five-on-three, and Owsley was a huge part of it. Shortly after the five-on-three was killed off the Thunderbirds were awarded a penalty-shot when the Cougars were caught closing their hand on the puck while in the goal crease.

Burke Gallimore raced in alone on Drew Owsley who turned him aside. The Cats killed off the penalty and were up 1-0 through 20 minutes.

The Thunderbirds tied the score 3:30 into the second when Jacob Doty banged home a pass from Branden Troock to tie the score. The Cougars thought they had taken a 2-1 lead when Cody Carlson centered the puck into the goal-mouth area and the puck found it’s way past Calvin Pickard. The referee promptly waved ‘no goal’ and claimed that the puck was knocked in with a glove. They went upstairs and confirmed the referee’s initial decision.

The teams traded chances early in the third with both goaltenders not budging. The Seattle Thunderbirds were awarded a power play shortly after the 10-minute mark and made the Cougars pay. Marcel Noebels found the bouncing puck in the slot area and buried one past Drew Owsley to give the Thunderbirds a 2-1 lead.

The Cougars pulled their goaltender in the final minute and were rewarded with puck luck shortly thereafter. Charles Inglis won a faceoff cleanly back to Cody Carlson. Carlson slid a pass over to Martin Marincin who fired a wrist-shot through traffic. The puck hit off of Charles Inglis and through Calvin Pickard to tie the score at two. The referees again went upstairs to confirm the call on the ice, and this time the Cougars were credited with the goal.

Overtime solved nothing with both teams mustering three shots on goal. The T-Birds had the best chance but Dan Gibb sprawled and blocked a shot to keep the game tied.

Onto the shootout where Drew Owsley once again stood tall. He denied Branden Troock on Seattle’s first attempt which set the table for Charles Inglis. Inglis raced down and buried one past Calvin Pickard to give the Cougars the shootout lead. It was the first goal the Cats have scored in a shootout this season. Owsley then stopped Luke Lockhart and Marcel Noebels to seal the deal for the Cougars.

The Cougars finished the game zero-for-five on the power play, and were outshot 34-29.

The Cougars record improved to 7-17-0-2 while Seattle’s record falls to 10-11-0-1. The Cougars will look to extend their winning streak to two games when they face the Spokane Chiefs tomorrow night in Spokane.

No comments: