Saturday, November 12, 2011

Observations From Everett.

Last night was the first time for me calling a hockey game in the United States. I was warned that the atmosphere in Everett was very rowdy, and the Everett faithful did not disappoint. I was definitely impressed with the energy last night, and I expect the same tonight. I realize that Washington Stats is not necessarily the first state you think of it comes to hockey prominence, but I like the fact that the Everett Silvertips are drawing well.


It was an emotional night no doubt for Campbell Elynuik who got to face his former Everett teammates for the first time since a summer trade sent him to Regina (and then eventually to Prince George). Elynuik continues to do a lot of little things that have impressed me and hopefully the coaching staff as well. I admire the fact that he's willing to fight anybody that comes knocking. The Cougars definitely lacked that type of toughness earlier in the season, and I think Elynuik has been a solid addition. Kudos to Dallas Thompson for making the deal. It only cost the Cougars a conditional sixth round pick.

Speaking of new additions, I also want to acknowledge defenceman Reid Jackson. Jackson has made a great early impression in Prince George with his teammates and no doubt the fans as well. He keeps it simple and plays a smart, dependable game. Right now with everybody healthy, the Prince George Cougars defense-core is arguably one of the top units in the BC Division.

Once again the game plan is simple for the Cats tonight: Stay disciplined, and play to your strengths. The Cougars have outshot their opposition 11 times this season, and seem to be quietly gaining some confidence. They've won three of their last four games, and are definitely making some positive strides in all areas. Can they keep it going tonight? Time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the PG defence core is among the top 5 in the BC Division.

Anonymous said...

Good observation.

Is the key to winning hockey games scoring more goals than the opposition?