Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mid-Week Ramblings of an N.B. Sportscaster.

Good morning,

It's been a few days since I last posted something, so I figure I'd weigh in on some of the things going on both locally and nationally, starting first with the NSRHL Championship Series.

For those that aren't aware, the NSRHL Championship series between Edam and St. Walburg is heading into Game Three tonight in St. Walburg. The Edam 3 Stars trail the St. Walburg Eagles 2-0, and likely need a win tonight to give themselves a real shot at the series.

The difference so far: Bryan Bridges. The Eagles netminder has played exceptionally well in both games, and has really risen to the occasion with big saves at big times. Quinton Gauthier has been no slouch at the other end, but he's simply not getting enough offensive help.

If you can't make it to the rink, you can hear the call live tonight at
8:30 on CJNB/CJNS.

----

The SJHL has set dates for the Division Finals. Both series kickoff Friday with La Ronge and Yorkton serving as hosts for games one and two.

I sincerely hope that fans in all four markets get out and enjoy these games, because the competition will be incredible. After such a wonky post-season last year, it's nice to see that the top four teams are being rewarded for their stellar play all season.

Don't ask me for predictions because you won't get one. Some guys are willing to stick their necks out and predict the outcomes of series, and that's great! But not me. I find that Junior Hockey can be so unpredictable, and I've learned that predictions are generally a recipe for disaster.

If I'm right, it's a fluke. If I'm wrong, I'm an idiot. What I will say is that I think both series will go the distance, and the two teams left at the end of it all will be physically and mentally exhausted.

---

For those of you following Senior A Hockey Provincials, the Maidstone/Balgonie final is all set up.

Game One goes Sunday (March 20th) at 6:00 from Maidstone. Game two will follow on Friday (March 25th) at 8:30. If neccessary, Game Three goes on Sunday (March 27th) in Maidstone at 5:00.

---

The CO-OP Leisure Time Sports Fix is turning three-years-old on Monday, April 4th. None of the interviews for he program have been completed just yet, but what I can say is that one of my anniversary guests has been confirmed and another one will be by the end of this week.

Last year my guests were: John McDonald (Blue Jays), Bob Nicholson (Hockey Canada) and Brendan Taman.

You won't be disappointed with this year's crop of guests. Mark my words.

---

I love March Madness basketball. I really can't explain why, but it seems that each year, the excitement of the tournament reaches new heights. To me there is so much more innocence and intrigue surrounding College Hoops. I guess I like the fact that these athletes are still playing for the Love of the Game, and not for the huge pay-checks yet.


For what it's worth, I've 'predicted' (guessed) an Ohio St./Kansas final with Ohio State winning 76-71.

---

Don't forget to wear Green tomorrow! As always, your comments and input are encouraged!

Take care,


DO

1 comment:

Yub-Yub said...

If Ohio State wins, it's a fluke... if they don't, you're an idiot.

Have a good one Dan!