Saturday, February 4, 2012

Rockets 4 - Cougars 1

Saturday night in Prince George, the Cougars were defeated 4-1 by the Kelowna Rockets. Mid-way through the second period, Kelowna scored twice in a 35-second span to break a 1-1 tie. Shane McColgan had a goal and two assists for the visitors while Daulton Siwak scored for the Cougars in the loss.

Kelowna came out buzzing early, but the Cougars were able to weather the early storm. The Rockets held a 5-1 edge in the shots department early, but Cougars netminder Devon Fordyce stood tall and soon the Cougars went to work offensively.

They moved the puck around quickly on their first power play and came close twice, but were unable to convert.

Late in the first, Kelowna took the lead when Shane McColgan scored on the power play. It was some tough luck for the Cougars defensively who did everything possible to stop the charge. Spencer Asuchak blocked one shot, and then Jordan Tkatch blocked another. Unfortunately Tkatch’s stick shattered on the play, and McColgan was able move by him and score.

Kelowna led 1-0 after one, and outshot the Cougars 11-8.

Early in the second period the Cougars continued to buzz. Their passes were crisp and they were getting good looks at the net, and were finally rewarded at 7:23 when Daulton Siwak jumped onto the puck along the right wing and blasted a shot past Adam Brown for his 10th of the year. Siwak has now scored five goals since he arrived to Prince George in a trade from Red Deer on December 29th.

Mid-way through the second period the Rockets regained the lead when Austin Ferguson found Tyrell Goulbourne in the slot-area. Goulbourne was able to beat Devon Fordyce for his sixth of the season, and Kelowna led 2-1.

35 seconds later the Rockets added to their lead when Myles Bell put a shot on goal from the right wing boards. The puck found its way past Devon Fordyce and Bell had his 10th of the season.

Carty Rigby would make it 4-1 for Kelowna on a late second period power play when he converted on a pass from Colton Sissons. Rigby’s 14th gave Kelowna the 4-1 lead that they would not relinquish.

Devon Fordyce stood tall in the third period for the Cougars. He faced 17 shots and stopped them all, and finished the night with 45 saves on 49 shots faced.

Kelowna finished the night two-for-five on the power play while the Cougars were zero-for-two on their opportunities.

The Cougars don’t play again until Friday, February 10th when they host the Edmonton Oil Kings.

No comments: