Monday, August 24, 2009

A few Player Updates, etc.

What's up!

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend, and I hope you are all starting to get antsy for hockey season to begin. I got a text message from North Star's Equipment Manager Dale Jackson today saying, "FOUR DAYS BABY!" It's definitely countdown time, and I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm fired up for North Star's training camp to begin.

Whenever somebody on the street asks me "What's new?" I always seem to respond with the same thing: "I've got _________ days left of freedom, and then it's down to business with hockey."

Even though North Star's camp has yet to begin, there are several players from last season making headlines at WHL camps.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an exert from Jon Keen's Blog. Jon Keen does the play-by-play for the Swift Current Broncos, and he has an update on Dane Meunch and what he has been able to accomplish at camp so far:

A nice surprise at camp is 17 year-old forward Dane Muench. He was the rookie of the year runner-up in the SJHL last season and has showed some great hands and instincts at camp.



The Broncos took Muench in the 4th round of the 2007 bantam draft. He dropped into the 4th because of his notions to play Junior "A" and go the college route.

Hampered by a wisdom teeth extraction which led to some complications, Muench was off the ice for a month leading up to training camp.

He thinks Swift Current is the place he needs to be at this point.

"It just seems like the best opportunity for me right now. It's a really good league and I have a pretty good chance to do some damage here in Swift. We'll see what happens."

He thinks the veteran forwards look solid.

"The top six forwards look really strong. Tassone may not be ready 'til November but guys like Dowling, Eakin and the others should put up some big offensive numbers."

As for Swift Current, he's enjoying the experience.

"I like it. The community seems really behind the team, it's a nice barn here, a nice new dressing room... I'm just trying to get used to everything."



So there you have it. One of the Battlefords North Star's biggest question marks heading into 09/10 may have just been answered. A lot of fans were looking forward to seeing Dane in a North Star uniform again this year, but it seems as if the Swift Current Broncos are pleased with what they've seen so far.

I'm not going to count any chickens before they hatch, but one thing that I think North Star fans need to grasp, and grasp quickly is the fact that if Dane stays in Swift Current, it's only a positive! Sure the Stars lose 24 goals, and their most dynamic goal scorer, but it also means that we've done a great job in developing talent, and putting Dane in a better situation.

Who knows?!? Maybe we see Dane in the Black and Gray come September 18th, but regardless of the outcome, it's great to see Dane finding success, and I personally wish him all of the best moving forward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Regina Pats recently made some cuts from their training camp, and one of notable names that was on the Cut-List was 19-year-old forward Colton Graf.




Graf only missed one game for the Stars last year, and was the club's second leading scorer with 33 points. If I know Graf like I think I do, I'm sure that he's going to be looking to make a real statement this season in the SJ. Ever since he arrived in the Battlefords in December of 07, it seems as if he's carried a ton of expectations on his shoulder to perform.

He'll be the first to tell you that he expects a lot from himself, and showed flashes of brilliance last year, and became one of the most dependable players for the team in the playoffs. His numbers may not have told the whole tale, but Graf may have been the best defensive forward on the team during the postseason.

I think Graf could score 60-70 points in this league if he plays with the right guys, and if he's able to really put his head down and play to his strengths. Regina's loss will once again be our gain. I'm looking forward to seeing Grafer at North Star's camp.

------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other members of the club that are currently trying out with WHL teams. If I forget any players, let me know, but if my facts are correct I can tell you:

Kyle Birch is trying out with Medicine Hat.

Brett Miller is back in Red Deer.

Woody Klaussen is skating with the Saskatoon Blades.

Jordan Lane is up North in Prince George.

Graham Hilldebrand is also at a Western Hockey League camp, and I want to say it's Prince George, but I'm not entirely certain. Anybody able to clarify?

Is Tony Oak in Red Deer too? Probably.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Annual Black and White game will be taking place on Sunday, August 30th at 2:00 pm at the Civic Center and once again I will be one of the head coaches. This year, I'll be defending my winning streak against my newspaper adversary Trent Cey!

As long as Jesse Lebreton can score me another OT goal, I'll be set! I'm looking forward to seeing y'al at the rink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: