Sunday, August 9, 2009

Canada Cup Ball, SJHL, and other Sports Takes..

Good afternoon!

Those who read my last blog are aware of the fact that I've been covering the Canada Baseball Cup in Kindersley, and I've had the pleasure of calling two of Saskatchewan's night games.

Saskatchewan finished the round-robin with a 3-2 record, and as I type this, they are trailing Manitoba 4-0 in a placement game.

Earlier today, BC defeated Alberta 2-1 and will be facing either Ontario or Quebec in the championship tonight at 7:30. You'll be able to catch tonight's championship later this week on Access Communications.

Calling baseball has been a ton of fun this week.

The first game I called was the 10-9 win for Saskatchewan over PEI on Thursday night. Saskatchewan trailed 9-1 in the bottom of the 4th inning, and yet somehow managed to rally back to win the game.

Friday night, Saskatchewan faced Alberta and lost 3-1. They faced a pitcher named Alex Regan who absolutely dominated the game. He threw a complete game two-hitter, and received almost all of his offensive help from second-baseman Jimmy Ralph. Ralph stole six bases, and scored two of the three Alberta runs. I should also mentioned that he drove in the other.

I've been very impressed with Jamie Flanagan and the entire crew in Kindersley who have hosted this event. Everybody I've spoken too about the event has had nothing but good things to say, and Kindersley certainly has proven itself as one of Saskatchewan's finest baseball communities. I hope tonight's championship game goes well. It'd be great to see a close game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who are interested in seeing the complete SJHL Preseason Schedule, you can do so right here.

The Battlefords North Stars are playing six preseason games. Two against Nipawin, Kindersley and Humboldt respectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------




I was very saddened to read yesterday about Texas Ranger's outfielder Josh Hamilton and his relapse with alcohol.

For those who aren't aware of Josh Hamilton or his story, you can read it here.

To make a very long story short: Josh Hamilton was drafted first overall in 1999 by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He was a five-tool outfielder that reminded many of Ken Griffey Jr. During Hamilton's first year in the minors he fell into a deep and dark addiction to alcohol and drugs, and was one more positive drug test away from being banned from baseball for life.

I recently read Hamilton's book called "Beyond Belief" and since I read it, I've followed his career and his statistics very closely. Heck, I'd even go so far as saying that Josh Hamilton was one of my favourite ball players.

We all make mistakes, and Hamilton certainly showed plenty of remorse during a recent press conference, but I guess I'm bummed because I thought that he was through this type of thing for good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------



This story is just plain funny to me. Really wierd, but still funny. I'm still bitter at the Chicago Blackhawks for eliminating the Canucks, and so reading today that Patrick Kane and his cousin assaulted and robbed a taxi driver because of 20 cents only adds to an incredibly awkward offseason for the Hawks.

Read the whole story here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Only a few more weeks until hockey season! Time to get stoked!

No comments: