Monday, August 30, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm.

The Battlefords North Stars officially kick off their training camp on Friday. That leaves us with five more days to speculate and debate before all things become official.

Tonight we'll get an early glimpse of the upcoming season when I chat with North Star's President Ray Adelman. Adelman will be a first-time guest on the program, and together we'll talk about some of the finer points of last year, and tee up the 2010-2011 season. Adelman has worked tirelessly over the years behind the scenes to help bring this team back to respectability and I am looking forward to our conversation. You should too.

---

I hope that you can make it to the Black and White game on Sunday. The North Stars have wisely chosen to start the game at 12:00, giving people. a chance to also watch the Labour Day Classic which starts at 3:00. Last week I promised that I'd reveal a new 'nugget' of information regarding the Black and White game, and I still will. I'm just waiting for the official confirmation. I can confirm that Trent Cey will coach one team, and I will be coaching the other.

---

Lately a lot of people have been asking whether the SJ This Week will be running again this season. The answer is a resounding YES. Barring any last-minute chances, Martin Smith and I will be back hosting the program for a third straight year. I really enjoy co-hosting that program. I've taken some flak from fans over the years for some of my comments and opinions, but I enjoy the fact that I get to provide the 'color' on that show. It's always nice traveling to other rinks in the SJ and getting compliments about the program.

---

Right now I am in the midst of determining which members of the Battlefords North Stars are away at Western Hockey League camps. At this stage I'm aware of only two: Dane Muench (Regina Pats) and Kyle Schmidt (Calgary Hitmen). Muench scored a goal during an intra-squad game on Saturday and I'm thinking he's got just as good a chance as any to crack the Pats' roster. I really like Dane both as a player and as a person, and I'd love to see him back in North Star colors again. That being said. I sincerely wish him the best in Regina and I will be one of the first to call and congratulate him if when he makes the team.

As for Kyle Schmidt, I haven't seen him play a lot. But I do remember watching him at the North Star's spring camp, and he was easily one of the best players on the ice. Ken Pearson is very high on Kyle Schmidt, and for good reason: He was a third-round draft pick in the WHL, and I'd say has a fine chance of making the team in Calgary.

I will do my best to keep you updated on both kids and their status within their respective WHL training-camps.

---

Josh Lewis (Kindersley Clarion) is also a guest on the Sports Fix tonight. Lewis and I will discuss the rival Kindersley Klippers and what
will be expected from them this season. Lewis will also give us the latest details on the West Central Events Center, and when we can expect hockey to return there.

---

On a personal note: I'm starting with a trainer on September 1st. I'll be on a 10-week program designed to help me lose 25 pounds. The goal is to work-out at least four times a week with a food plan featuring a lot of veggies, chicken, and water. It's going to be tough, but I'm ready for the challenge.

---

Enjoy your Monday, and thanks again for reading. I'm looking forward to visiting with you at the rink in a matter of days.

No comments: