Friday, August 13, 2010

Catching Up with the Coach.

Yesterday I caught up with North Star's coach and GM Ken Pearson. Here's a small transcript of our chat:


DO: Any other irons in the fire that you can give us a hint towards:


KP: With us losing the physical presence of Mitch Wall, and Troy Watt and his sand-paper type style up front - We're still maybe looking to add that type of forward to our group. We really like our skill up front, but I still think we still need to add a little more grit to our lineup. Our backend, right now that's the main thing that I've tried to hone in on. Trying to make us more experienced, and more mobile and physical back there at the same time.


DO: You want to shed some light on your own personal optimism knowing that Training Camp is just around the corner?

KP: Our Camp (for myself) starts this weekend with the AAA's. We're going to have a number of prospects there which will move onto our camp at the beginning of September. I'm really excited. I really like our 50-man list. I like some of the free-agent guys that we've attracted to our camp. I think we're sitting as best as we have in the short time that I've been apart of the organization. I think we're going to have some real battles for spots on our hockey club.


DO: Have you given any thought moving forward as to which players on the current roster you feel can fill the void of a captain or an assistant captain?

KP: I think we're going to let it play out through the pre-season. There are some obvious candidates, but until we're ready to name our four guys (our captain and three assistants), we're going to let it play out and see which guys do step up to the forefront and take on those leadership roles. I think we've got a good core of guys in that room, and there's (again) going to be some tough choices to make.

------------

I can also confirm that the North Stars have acquired a veteran defenceman from out-of-province. Details to come once everything has been approved by the league.

Happy Friday the 13th. Don't forget to buy a lotto ticket!

No comments: