Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Thoughts.

Eight days. Can you believe it? Training camp begins in eight days, and it's safe to say that the emotional roller coaster has already started moving.

For Ken Pearson, this will be a pivotal camp and a telling season. In just two seasons he has transformed a five-win team (in 07-08) into a championship threat - And now it's time to crank it up a notch.

I'll be very interested to speak with Pearson after the first day of camp and ask him about the 'message' of camp. If the Ken Perason era has taught us anything it is that nobody will have a free-ride. Any veterans who feel like they can coast through camp will be in for a rude awakening.

Here's the thing though: For the first time in my four years of covering the team, I am hard-pressed to think of any veterans who are 'on the bubble.' I am of the opinion that the all of the returning players will make this team if they want to.

Without naming names, I can cite at least four examples from previous seasons where second-year players did not make the final roster due to a
poor training camp. Here's hoping that this year is different.

-----------------

I want to wish a hearty congratulations to CJNB's Cody Nickolet. Nickolet will be leaving our radio family in mid-September to take over the color-commentary duties for the Saskatoon Blades. Cody did a brilliant job with color commentary last season for our broadcasts, and I wish him all of the best in Saskatoon. Our loss is truly their gain. Congratulations pal - This is well deserved.

That being said - Matt Ryan will be my main-man this season for color. Matt is a total pro, and loves this team so much. His energy on the radio is contagious, and I am blessed to share the booth on a regular basis with him. Not a day goes by where Matt and I don't communicate our mutual excitement for the upcoming season and the broadcasts.

-----------------

As usual, the Annual Black vs. White game will be taking place on Sunday, September 5 at 12:00 noon from the Civic Center. I confirmed with coach Pearson yesterday, and I will be one of the coaches for that game. I imagine that Battlefords News Optimist sports reporter Trent Cey will oppose me again. Team White (coached by Trent) defeated Team Black (coached by me) last year 10-9 in O.T. and I'm anticipating a much different result this time around! I've coached in two of these games, and I have a record of 1-1.

Trent and I will have to discuss our wager for this year. I've also heard that there could be a new 'wrinkle' in the game this season. That's all I can say for now.

----------------

So far I've found the current poll question to be rather intriguing. It comes as no surprise that Brett Miller is leading, and Matt Spafford and Andrew Dommett are still battling for second - But I'm curious to know what 'OTHER' players you feel will be candidates for league leader.

Some other names that come to mind are Josh Daley, Dane Muench, Braudon Adamyk, John Calkins, Justin Buzzeo, Deven Stillar, Marc-Andre Carre, Shawn or Rodney Cowie and Taylor Duzan. Did I miss anybody?

-----------------

Josh Lewis is the latest SJHL media member to create a blog. He's the sports reporter for the Kindersley Clarion paper, and in my opinion does a GREAT job! You can find the link to his blog on the right side of mine. I urge you to check it out because he truly knows his stuff.

I've made it no secret that I expect big things from Kindersley this season, and if you feel the same, this is a blog that you'll need to check and read regularly.

------------------

Are you going to Bridgefest this weekend? If so, I'll see you there. Thanks for reading, and as always your insight and comments are appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Drew George in Weyburn may surprise many and win the scoring title.

Stars123 said...

If hes healthy I think that Colin Phaneuf could lead the SJ in scoring. Its a scary thought to imagine that basically 6 different North star players have the ability to lead the league in scoring.

Pappy said...

Of course I am a little partial, but I believe Josh Daley will have a banner year. I know he has been working very hard this summer and is very excited to return to the Battlefords.

Unknown said...

Besides Miller, I vote for Phaneuf, followed closely behind by Daley and Tatchell. I'm looking forward to seeing what Morrissey will have for a rookie year.