Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heading Home.

I touch down in Saskatoon tonight at around 9:45, and then it'll be back to work on Thursday. This trip to Phoenix has been excellent, and has definitely helped to recharge my batteries for the stretch run of the SJHL season. If memory serves correclty I think that every single Battlefords North Stars game (starting Thursday) is a broadcast!

Tonight the Stars welcome the Nipawin Hawks for the final time this season. The Stars are 3-0 against Nipawin so far this season, they head into tonight's battle with an eight-point edge on the Hawks in the Bauer Conference standings.

A win tonight for the Stars coupled with a Humboldt loss to Notre Dame would put the Stars into third place in the Bauer Conference. Flin Flon is also in action tonight, which makes things very interesting.

-----

My highlights of Phoenix include:

- Three rounds of golf and a grip-change. Those who golf lots know the importance of a good grip. Apparently mine was bogus, and spent the past three rounds trying to get used to the new change. Overall it was a humbling, and frustrating couple of rounds, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Some golf lessons are certainly in order for me in the not-too-distant future.

- Three Phoenix Coyotes hockey games. They beat Toronto 5-1, Anaheim 6-2 but lost yesterday 4-2 t0 San Jose. There is something really unique about going to an afternoon hockey-game while the sun is still shining, leaving the rink and then going to have a drink on a patio somewhere. I am also now the proud owner of a Shane Doan third jersey.

- A Phoenix Sun's basketball game where they beat Portland by four points. Steve Nash is a thrill to watch live, and even though they are having a bad season - The Sun's fans were out in full force. I met three people from a nearby military academy at the game, and they ended up buying my Dad and I a couple of beers. I heard some great stories, and I really got a true taste of American military service.


Again, I'm looking forward to my return to the radio. Hopefully the weather is getting warmer!

See you at the rink Thursday!

- DO

3 comments:

C J N said...

I always told you that you gripped the club oddly.

So you finally decided to interlock your fingers?

Anonymous said...

Is that a yes or no Dan-o?

Dan O'Connor said...

The answer is a yes. The results were certainly mixed, but I think with some solid practice I should be on the right track sooner than later.