Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflections and Thank You's.

So what now?

This is the toughest part of the year for any hockey broadcaster. Nothing can ever prepare you for the wave of emotion that comes when a season is over.

This year's North Star's team had as good a chance as any to win the championship, and instead they were ousted by the La Ronge Ice Wolves in six. In my opinion there is lots to celebrate, but right now the entire North Star organization is in a state of shock, and this feeling will linger for another few weeks at least.

I guess I'll start by congratulating Bob Beatty and the La Ronge Ice Wolves. They have truely earned their spot in the Bauer Conference Final and will no doubt be a tough opponent for either Yorkton or Kindersley. Great goaltending, timely offense, and solid special-teams were all key factors in the Ice Wolves series victory and I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors.

-----------------------------------

For North Star's coach Ken Pearson, the offseason begins today. As I type this, the Coach is meeting with the players, and when all is said and done today the Star's locker-room will be emptied for another season.

The coaching staff will immediately start dissecting the season, and will do their best to point out what went wrong and address those issues in the offseason. After Game Six, Ken Pearson discussed the Power-play struggles, and how special teams were the ultimate 'un-doing' of the Stars. The Star's man-advantage went 2-20 during the three games in La Ronge, and was not much better at home.

-------------------------------------

For the eight 20-year-olds who played their final game as a North Star last night, I'd like to thank all of you.

Mitch Wall, Troy Watt, Blake Peake, Chad Filteau, Jesse Lebreton, Brody Malek, Coleman Brodbin, and Grant Fahnhorst have all left a positive mark on this franchise, and we are all grateful for having watched you play and contribute to this organization and community. Your leadership, character and skill will be missed terribly, and I hope that your stint in the Battlefords was a memorable one.

----------------------------------------

As far as the 10-11 season is concerned, I think the Stars are in great shape. Assuming that everybody returns, the Stars have a great nucleus in place.

Forwards:

Brett Miller (91) - Cuz I'm a jackass and accidently forgot.
Josh Daley (90)
Shay Neufeld (90)
Tony Oak (90)
Blake Tatchell (91)
Ward Szucki (91)
Boyd Wakelin (91)
Nathan Tomac (91)
Dane Muench (92)
Calder Neufeld (92)
Tanner Schwab (92)

Defence:

Cody Folstad (90)
Woody Klassen (91)
Dominic Perrault (91)
Kyle Schmidt (93)

Goaltending:

Kyle Birch (90)
Graham Hildebrand (91)

Not bad at all eh?

But lets not kid ourselves. There are going to be trades, and there will be movement during this offseason. Ken Pearson has worked hard to improve the Star's 50-man protected list, and some more unknowns will soon be household names in the Battlefords.

The offseason can be a very exciting time for a promising team like the North Stars, and I anticipate that we'll be hearing many good things out of North Star Nation once the Royal Bank Cup comes to an end on May 9th.

----------------------------------

A few folks have been asking me if I'm going to keep updating the blog now that the season is over. The immediate answer is yes. I will continue posting North Star news and notes, and will continue to provide the fans with info and insight into the world of sports both locally and nationally.

It's only a matter of time before some of our 20-year-olds will receive scholarship opportunities from schools, and others could very well pursue pro careers if they so choose. I will make every effort possible to keep you updated on North Star's past and present.

I want to thank each and every individual reader of the North Star Nation blog for their loyalty, compliments and support. When I started this blog at the start of the 09-10 season, I didn't really know what to expect, and I can safely say that my expectations were exceeded. Thank you.

------------------------------------

Don't stop checking the North Star's website either. The Annual Golf Tournament is coming up sooner than you think, and we are also in the midst of trying to create an Alumni Database for the team.

Over the next few seasons it is our hope that we can host several Battlefords North Star's alumni events. If you have ever played for the Battlefords North Stars, please e-mail: office@northstars.ca and supply your name, your position, the years you played in the Battlefords and a quick summary of what you're doing now with your life.

------------------------------------

Now onto my personal thank you's, and there are lots of them.

First and foremost I would like to thank the North Star's Board of Directors and coaching staff. At the start of this season, they trusted me enough to take on the role of Media Relations Director with the team, and I am forever grateful for the opportunity. I firmly believe that I have the best job in the SJHL, and you have given me that opportunity and I thank you.

To Ken and Blair for their support and friendship. I have enjoyed this season more than you even know. From the endless laughs on the bus, to some great conversations on the road - You've helped this 24-year-old broadcaster feel 'at home.' Not only that, but both always seemed to have my best interests in mind. Be it Blair critiquing my outfits, or Ken correcting my spelling on the blog, it all meant a lot to me, and I look forward to many more stories and memories together down the road.


To my roommate on the road Dale Jackson. You truely are Mr. Everything to the North Star's, and we are lucky to have you on board. Thanks for all of your hard-work, and dedication to your craft. I consider you a dear friend, and I am already excited for our trips together next year. Thanks for keeping me company on the way to Yorkton too, that was awesome.


To Missy Reiter, team trainer - You're the ultimate sweet-heart. Thank you for your compliments, and you're loyalty to the team. Best of luck with your delivery, and I look forward to spending more time with you and Jody over the offseason.


To Marketing and Office Manager Dawn Cardell - We truely make a great team don't we? By the way, if anybody knows of a house for rent in the Battlefords. E-MAIL Dawn at office@northstars.ca or call 445-7827.

To my broadcast team - Matt Ryan, Cody Nickolet and Trent Cey. Matt you've come such a long way as a broadcaster, and you're energy and passion for this team is contagious.

Cody, you did a remarkable job covering this league and I anticipate only bigger and better things from you in the future. You're dedication to your craft is second to none, and I appreciate your help so much.

Trent, you filled in admirably whenever I needed you, and I am grateful for that. You're a great writer, and the News Optomist is lucky to have you.

To Julie Larson for your photography. I know I speak for everybody when I thank you for your photos. You truely have a gift for photography, and I'm blessed that you shared your gift with my readers. You're the greatest girl I know, and I'm blessed just to know you, let alone share my life with you.

To the many other North Star volunteers who have lended countless hours towards this organization - Thank you. Without you, we wouldn't have a team. You're dedication and love for this team is outstanding. Neil, Tyler, Debbie, Kara, Tri-Dawn Security Members, the Northwest Hockey Developmment concession workers, the Hot Stove Lounge Commuittee and the 50/50 ticket takers - Wow. You are all terrific.


To the North Star parents who have constantly built me up and supplied me with compliments, energy and kind words. I have enjoyed meeting all of you and sharing stories and laughs with all of you. Thank you for trusting the North Star's with your children, and thank you for making my days at the rink much more fun!

To the billets who bleed for this organization. Again, without you, there would be no team.

To the loyal season ticket holders and fans who cheered loud and proud game after game for this team. The fact that 60 of you came to La Ronge for Game Six was inspiring, and I can't help but smile when I think about the cheering section from last night's game. Great job North Star Nation. Great job.

And once more I want to thank the players. You provided us all with a tremendous run, and you helped take my broadcasts to another level this season. Thanks for making yourselves available to me before, and after games, and I hope that we can stay in touch and keep the laughter going forward.

If i've missed anybody, I apologize. I hope I was able to give this season justice with my broadcasts, and blogs. Thank you again for your tremendous support, and comments over the course of the season. You've been a constant source of insipiration to me and I look forward to more great memories together.

Don't be a stranger.


Dan O'Connor

1 comment:

Pappy said...

I would like to pass on my thank you to you, Dan, for keeping us apprised of the happenings of the team. Being so far away, we looked forward to the broadcasts and blog entries to make us feel closer to our grandson, Josh Daley. I also would like to thank the people of the battlefords and the team on how they treated Josh. Playing in Minnesota last year we got to visit him from time to time, but while in the Battlefords we only visited once. With the friendliness of the people it helped him deal with the distance. Thank you again. We are already looking forward to next season!!