Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Top-Five Road Broadcasts I'm Most Excited for in 2011-2012.

My earlier post detailed the top-five 'Must See' home-games in 2011-2012 for the Prince George Cougars fans. This piece is more personal and details the top-five road-trips that I'm most excited for. Given that this is my first season in the Western Hockey League, I am unfamiliar with mostly all of these rinks. Each rink I'm sure will have it's own set of charms and excitement, but the following five road-games get me the most excited.

#5: September 24th - KAMLOOPS

I've been waiting my whole life for the chance to be a WHL broadcaster. My first ever broadcast will take place on September 24th in Kamloops. The Blazers are Prince George's closest rival, and it will be such a unique thrill to call my first game in Kamloops.

#4: November 25th - SEATTLE

During my college years, I spent my summers in Washington State as a summer camp counselor in Bellingham, WA. During those summers I met many close friends in Washington and I get really excited thinking about calling a hockey game in Kent, Washington knowing that many of my close pals will be in attendance (Cheering for the Cats of course!)

#3: October 10th - MOOSE JAW

I'm bummed that I never got to call a game from the legendary "Crushed Can" in Moose Jaw, but from all accounts the new barn is a special place. The Warriors are a team with a lot of history, and Saskatchewan as a whole is a special place to me. I look forward to seeing the brand-new facility that the Warriors now call home. I hear the fans in Moose Jaw really bring it too.


#2: October 5th - SASKATOON

Having spent the past four years in North Battleford, Saskatoon is the closest WHL center to my former place of residence. I watched plenty of WHL hockey in Saskatoon over the past four years, and it will be awesome getting a chance to return to Saskatchewan and getting a chance to watch the Cats to head-to-head with the Saskatoon Blades at the Credit Union Center. It also helps that my good buddy Cody Nickolet does color for the Blades, and he's already promised me that he'll be my second-intermission guest when I head East.

#1 October 25th - VANCOUVER

Thankfully I'm able to remember heading to the Pacific Coliseum to watch the Vancouver Canucks and more recently the Vancouver Giants. The Rink on Renfrew is near and dear to my heart, and I've often dreamt about what it would be like to call a game from the same broadcast booth as Jim Robson did for so many years. Add the fact that this game will serve as a true home-coming for yours truly, I'd be lying if I said that any other road-game meant more to me than this one on October 25th.

No comments: