Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grondin Named P.O.W. And More.

Battlefords North Stars forward Keith Grondin has been named the Sherwood SJHL Player of the Week. Grondin scored four goals in four games, and added two assists to his total. He was a key contributor in the three North Star victories scoring in all three games. Grondin leads the Stars in goals with 18, and is tied with Woody Klassen for fourth in team scoring.

----

Last night on the Co-Op Leisure Time Sports Fix I spoke with North Star's 20-year-old forward Colin Phaneuf. Phaneuf has really thrived in the Battlefords playing on a line with Blake Tatchell and Keith Grondin, and is certainly a candidate for the team's M.V.P. award at this point of the season.

If you missed the interview, you missed a good one. Phaneuf is a very well spoken individual, and has had a different career then most. He started in Winnipeg as a 16 and 17-year-old playing for none other than Ken Pearson. After a successful season as a 16-year-old, Phaneuf suffered his first of a lengthy string of injuries that would ultimate bring him to the point of questioning whether he'd ever play the game again.

"I tried staying as positive as possible," said Phaneuf. "There were definitely some days where I felt like I wouldn't play again. But thankfully that's not the case, and I'm here now."

Phaneuf added this his recent off-season got off to a tough start. He said, "To be honest, the only coach I heard from was Kenny (Pearson). All of the other coaches figured I was done playing. Me and Kenny kept in touch the whole time that I was injured, and I called him, we chatted and the rest is history."

A truly compelling interview, and I think it's great that Phaneuf has landed on his feet and is healthy, and happy in the Battlefords.

----

A Humboldt - Battlefords preview will be posted shortly.

No comments: