Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday Morning Thoughts At Large

 
First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for their warmth and support over the past two days. The e-mails, blog comments, text messages and facebook messages are much appreciated.
 
  The arrangements have been made, and I will be attending a funeral/memorial for my Grandpa on Friday morning in Fort Frances, Ontario. The good news here, is that I'll be hopping a flight from Winnipeg to Saskatoon at 1:30 pm on Saturday afternoon, landing in Saskatoon at 3 pm and then driving to Humboldt for the Saturday night broadcast.
 
 It's important to me that I make it to Ontario, but also important that I don't miss a North Star's broadcast. At the latest, I should be landing in Saskatoon at 3:30 on Saturday, which will give me plenty of time to make it to Humboldt and not miss a beat.
 
The next two days are going to be incredibly busy, but it will most definitely be worth it in the end. I spoke to my Mom yesterday, and she seemed to be in a good frame of mind. The family has been and will continue to celebrate his life.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Tony Oak made his first appearance on the CO-OP Leisure Time Sports Fix last night, and he killed it. Tony did a great job and was very candid. One of the highlights for me this year has been watching Oak come into his own as a two-way player in this league.
 
He's done a good job at killing penalties this season, and is starting to get rewarded offensively for his efforts.
 
I admit that I've got a 'soft-spot' for Oak, Brody Malek, Coleman Brodbin, Mitch Wall and Jesse Lebreton. Those five players and I have stuck it out together in the Battlefords for the past three seasons, through thick and thin and it's great that all of us can now enjoy some prolonged regular season success.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
I also spoke with Estevan Bruins head-coach and GM Kerry Biette.
 
Kerry made his second appearance on the show, and for a second time, he did very well. Admittedly the Bruins are not playing their best hockey right now, but Kerry did not shy away from tough questions, and showed a lot of integrity during the interview.
 
Some tough news for the Estevan Bruins over the weekend. Their leading scorer, and (easily) their best player Chad Filteau injured his shoulder, and is a 'no-go' for the weekend, and even looks doubtful for the SJHL Showcase.
 
This is bad for several reasons.
 
- Filteau is an integral cog of the Estevan offense and is irreplacable in my opinion.
- If he does in fact miss the Showcase, a ton of fans and scouts have to miss out on witnessing one of the best in the league 'strut his stuff.'
 
A speedy recovery from Chad Filteau can only benefit the SJHL.
 
Biette hinted that the next two to three weeks are very important for the Bruins. If the Bruins can rattle off some wins, then I'd expect them to try to add some pieces. Should they continue to lose, we may very-well see players like Filteau, MacPhearson, and Brant Harris dealt to other teams.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It might be a 'radio night' in the O'Connor house tonight, as the Flin Flon Bombers are in La Ronge for a matchup with the Ice Wolves.
 
A win for the Ice Wolves, and they are tied for first with Flin Flon.
 
A win for the Bombers and they'll have three points of seperation again on the North Stars.
 
It's only mid-November, and already there are some really important games happening in both conferences. If you can't get excited for that type of thing, then what are you doing watching hockey!?
 
I'm also curious to see what happens in Humboldt tonight when the Mustangs battle the Broncos. If the playoffs were to start today - Humboldt and Melfort would be facing one another in the Bauer Conference Survivor Series.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
Some other thoughts and table topics for you to consider morning:
 
- Can the Riders beat the Stamps AGAIN at home? I'll be attending the West Final on Sunday, and I admit that I'm incredibly nervous. Darian Durant can solidify his status as the Rider's quarterback for the next three years at least if he wins on Sunday.
 
- All three of my fantasy hockey goalies are eligable to start tonight: Pekka Rinne (vs. SJ), Carey Price (vs. CAR), and Mikka Kiprusoff (vs. COL).I'm starting 'Kipper' for sure, but I'm still undecided as to who else to dress. Right now I'm ranked sixth out of 12 competitors and I'm slowly climbing the ladder.
 
- The NFL Monday Nighter was an abomination last night. The Cleveland Browns are an NFL laughing-stock, and it sucks because there are few teams out there that have such a loyal following (Riders... Cough...). I like Brady Quinn as a quarterback dating back to his days at Notre Dame, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him shovelled off to another team in the near future, and find success at this level. The worst part about watching the Browns? There doesn't appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel.
 
- It looks like Ottawa City Council has approved a motion to kick-start renovations to Landsdowne Park. This means that a CFL franchise in Ottawa could once again be immininet. My only take on that is this: DON'T MESS IT UP AGAIN!
 
- Rumor has it the Toronto Blue Jays are interested in acquiring Cincinnati Reds second-baseman Brandon Phillips, and converting him to a third baseman. If Alex Anthopolous can swing this deal, I will immediately deem myself an 'AA Supporter." I've always like Phillips, and I think he could help the Blue Jays at the top of their order. Lord knows they need all the help they can get at this point.
 
- I'm 15 pounds away from reaching my first weight-loss goal. Julie and I went halfers yesterday on an exercise bike for the house! This way I won't have to drive to the gym in -40.
 
- If you're still reading this entry right now, thank you!
 
- I know that this weather won't last forever, but right now I am embracing every second of the "no-snow" around here.
 
- I miss golf and I'm tempted to try the "Nine In, Nine Out" Golf that they have in town here. Has anybody tried it? Is it worth it?

- I stink at growing facial hair. I'm taking part in 'Movember' and my attempt àt a moustache so far has been futile. Hopefully two more weeks will show some kind of results.
 
Okay, I think I'm done for now. Enjoy your Tuesday North Star Nation and thanks again for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I appreciate your readership and friendship more than you know.
 
- DO

No comments: