Monday, October 4, 2010

Back At It

It feels great to back on the radio. Hearing my alarm ring at 4:30 AM is not always glamorous, and my coffee is uncharacteristically cold this morning, but regardless of that - I'm back at work, and life is grand. I've got a ton on my mind, and I thank you in advance for hanging in there, and allowing me to get back up to speed with what's been going on.

Times are obviously tough right now in North Star Nation. Expectations were so high heading in, and to be winless through six games this season is a shocker to say the least. Fans are weary, the players are frustrated and everything is always magnified when the losses keep piling up.

I am still of the opinion that the season is far too young to really get true gauge of what this team is about - But I will say that a victory needs to come soon and change is definitely in order, because right now for a variety of reasons, this current group is simply not cutting it.

It's weird, because in all honesty - I'm not worried. If these struggles are still here in December - Yes, it'll be time to re-assess - But I've always believed in the Star's coaching staff, and a rocky start is certainly not enough to change that.

Some fans have brought up the 2007-2008 'five-win' season and have started making comparisons already. To me, that comparison is ludacris. Back in 2007-2008, it was clear that there was a drastic shortage of talent on the team, whereas this year there almost seems to be an abundance of skill with a shortage of grit and toughness. I'm no GM, but to me it seems like it would be easier to find and add grit than it would be to acquire talent. Leading me to the conclusion that even with a record of 0-4-1-1, Ken Pearson is still dealing from a position of strength when it comes to improving this team. As always, your thoughts and input are appreciated.

----

Help could be on the way for the Stars, at least in goal. Last I heard from Graham Hildebrand, he said was on the verge of being ready to play. I'll touch base with Graham at some point today to provide some better information, but boy it would be nice to see Hildebrand back between the pipes. Nothing against either Kyle Birch or Alex Sirard, but right now the team could use a boost and maybe Hildebrand is "it."

It's strange to think that this knee injury has actually really helped Graham Hildebrand's stock with the team.

-----

Tonight's edition of the Co-Op Leisure Time Sports Fix will have a football feel to it. Former BC Lion's quarterback/Team 1040 Football analyst Giulio Caravatta will be on the program to talk CFL. I've also got some other irons in the fire with the CFL and SJHL so you can bet that it'll be a full program. I'll keep you posted through twitter once the guests become confirmed. The show starts at 8:00 tonight and runs on CJNB/CJNS.

4 comments:

Stars123 said...

If people are comparing this team to the team that won 5 games, they obviously have no idea about the game. Whats hurting the stars right now is goaltending. Its frustrating when you skate down the ice and score then all of a sudden the other team scores a soft goal, it takes momentum away from the team. Yes its not good that we havent won a game yet, but like Dan Said we've got no lack of talent on the team. We actually might have the most talent in the league. Some guys arent applying themselves like they can. A change is needed, maybe all that is needed is Hildebrand back and maybe a few timely saves is all that needs to happen before this team starts working. Maybe a few new bodies is all that is needed. To me the vets are not being vets. You need your veteren players to carry the load and show the young guys how its done. Maybe acquire a few vet players and trade the vets that are not playing up to par away. Somethings gotta change. Also possibly a road trip is just what the doctor ordered. On road trips alot of bonding time happens. And maybe thats what they need. Did the stars lost 5 games in a row last year??? I think they did, how did they do?? A fairly successful season. One win can do wonders for a team. Also you look at the games we lost. The first game of the year 8-7 to Kindersley that game could of gone either way, 8-7 to Humboldt in O.T. that game could of gone either way as well. and 4-3 to melfort in a shootout, that game could of gone either way. We're close. I could be wrong but correct me if I am wrong. This year reminds me of the year when Delainey, Blaquiere,Cusack, Kellers,etc were all rookies. I believe our record was 3-8-0, some of the vets were not producing. I remember Sauts trading our leading scorer (Cole Fern) from the year before and brining in Jarred Mohr. Then he brought in an unknown in Dustin Macdonald and poof the stars all of a sudden went onto a 15 game un beaten streak and went to the league finals. Any ways I remember at that time, Sauts said on the radio that the guys have to come to practice every day and improve 1 thing. If each player improved 1 thing that would be 25 things that would of improved. In the same interview I remember him saying that some of the games we lost were 1 goal games and the 1 goal games are the hardest games to swallow. I think we need to get more physical and get better on the backend. But, we're close. 1 win will do wonders. Sorry I had to rant.

Dan O'Connor said...

Nice take. Well said.

I don't agree with all of it, but it is important to keep things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

goal is a small part. The game in Kindersley at least 12 two on ones from defence in the offence zone. Lets stay at home and clear in front of the net you will then start seeing the wins.

Unknown said...

Ranting is ok...I think that's what blogs are for!! Ha-Ha!! I agree with the goaltending. For what was supposed to be the best tandem in the league for goalies; it sure has turned to disappointment. Now I can't say much about Sirard because I haven't seen him play before this year, and to this point he has been ok. (not great; but ok)but we all know Birch is so much better than what he's shown us so far. I could have sworn he was going to be the one that stayed, but right now I wouldn't want to even take a guess. Can't wait for Hildy to come back so we can watch them all fight for a spot. I'm ok with the defense. I think I actually like them more this year. I don't understand our forwards. TONS of talent but I guess maybe all offensive and not willing to do the back checking. Sorry Stars123, can't comment on that year; wasn't around back then. To comment on a previous post, I also heard that Miller was hurt. Oh and Dear Colin, you are great at putting the puck in the net; but please stop taking penalties. Thanks.