Saturday, October 8, 2011

Saturday Morning Thoughts.

The Prince George Cougars are nearly a full week into their Eastern swing, and so far have totaled one win, and two losses. Tonight they go up against the team with the best record in the WHL in the Regina Pats.

Tonight's game has the potential to be a real statement game for the Cats as they head into hostile territory. Had it not been for a bad 7:25 span last night in Brandon, they may have very well beaten the Brandon Wheat Kings. What a boost of confidence it would be for Dean Clark's bunch to go into Regina and take two points from the league's hottest team.

In order for them to do so they'll need to stay disciplined, and I'm not just talking about penalties.

Over the past two games, the Cougars have been guilty of pinching at inopportune times, and they're coverage in front of their own net (collectively, not just defenceman) has not been good enough.

In order to win on the road most nights you need to simplify your game and take advantage of your opponents mistakes. You force mistakes by playing smart, and aggressively.

I credit the Cougars for the fact that they haven't been backing down, and they haven't shown any real quit so far this season. But 50-minute efforts are not going to win you many games.

If you look at the two victories this season for Prince George against Kamloops and Prince Albert, the recipe for success was very similar: Strong defense, good discipline, and a tireless work ethic.

If they do that tonight, they stand a great chance of winning.

---

I've received plenty of feedback from parents, and fans regarding the broadcasts so far this season. With each passing game I'm feeling more comfortable in the booth, and i hope that it shows in the product of the broadcast. I again want to thank both Cody Nickolet and Matt Ryan for their help earlier this week, and tonight I'll get to join forces with another great broadcaster in Mitchell Blair.

I worked with Mitchell last season in the SJHL, and he is definitely a guy who I've been able to learn a lot from, and it'll be so much fun getting a chance to call a game alongside him.

Although I am a B.C. boy, many of you know that I hold Saskatchewan very near to my heart, and I am so excited for the chance to call my first game in Regina, Moose Jaw and Swift Current.

---

I don't normally say these things publically, but I've got a great feeling about tonight's game. The puck drop is still over seven hours away, but I wish it was sooner.

Have a great Saturday, and we'll talk to you from the rink tonight!

No comments: