Saturday, October 10, 2009

As Promised.....

Sorry for the late entry, I have slept virtually all morning.

By now I'm sure you are aware of the fact that the Battlefords North Stars held on to defeat Weyburn 4-3 last night.

Josh Daley (6), Shay Neufeld (5), and Justin Waskewitch (2) scored in the first 6:57 of the game to give the Stars a 3-0 lead. Rhett Bly scored late in the frame to make it 3-1.

A scary moment for the Stars late in the first as Woody Klassen went down with an ankle injury, he wouldn't return.

The Wings would inch closer midway through the second on a goal by Daniels. The second period then turned into a goaltending clinic. Kyle Birch and Tanner Erickson were outstanding!

Late in the second, the Stars regained their lead when Dominic Perrault finished off a beautiful pass from Brett Miller. The dirty work was done by Boyd Wakelin and Ward Szucki on the fort-check to get the job done.

Ethan Wrigley would capitalize on the power-play early in the third to force the 4-3 score.

Kyle Birch made an enormous save on Tyler Penny and from there, the Stars finished off the Wings.

The Stars were 0-6 on the PP and outshot Weyburn 43-33.

After the game, we learned that Klassen will likely miss a week of action with a high-ankle injury.

---------------

The Stars now must put this spirited victory behind them and brace themselves for the Estevan Bruins.

The Stars have had a tough time winning in E-town and Brody Malek and I are particularly haunted by a 13-0 loss suffered in December 07.

Estevan has some talented players, especially forward Chad Filteau.

A win for the Stars tonight and they'll have earned four of six points on this trip. I'll take it, and I'm sure the coaches would too.

The broadcast kicks off at 7:15 tonight with the Sasktel Pregame Show. Hope your listening.

---------------

I got some great feedback on yesterdays blog. I am extremely grateful to your readership, and I'm happy that my writing has become a part of your day.

Blogging has become one of the highlights of my day, and I will do my best to keep improving these entrys.

---------------

Okay, now for the good stuff. I promised to share a story from the road.

A couple come to mind from my days in Dawson Creek with the Junior Canucks, but I guess I'd better tell one from the North Stars first.

One of the funnier stories comes from my first overnighter with the Stars back in October 2007. We were staying in Nipawin and this was the first time that D-Jack and I were rooming together.

After the game that night we had a meal and then I went to the hotel room to watch some TV and I expexted Dale to arrive shortly.

10:30 PM - No Dale.

11:30 PM - No Dale.

I assumed that he had probably gone out with the coaches or something, yet as a new roommate I was a tad worried!

At around 1:00 AM I woke up to go to the bathroom, and totally by chance, in walks Dale.

DO:*laughing* Hey man, where have you been?

DJ: I was out having drinks with Nipawin's trainer. Were you worried about me or something?

DO: A little bit, haha, I didn't know where you were.

Dale had a good laugh and we both crashed. The next morning Dale informed the coaches of our little encounter, and I still get chirped about it to this day for being a protective roommate.

Now we've gotten to the point where I'm invited to these post-game gatherings, so I don't worry anymore!

-----------------

More stories to come during the season. Enjoy the broadcast tonight.

Dan

1 comment:

heilzy18 said...

Great story Dan! and yes, your cold frosty Bud awaits you at the Hounds game.