Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Morning

It wasn't exactly the start that the Battlefords North Stars were hoping for, but regardless an 8-3 loss to Kindersley in an all-rookie game is not the end of the world. I wasn't in Eston last night, so I can't give you a first-hand glimpse of the game, but I'll be speaking with Coach Pearson later this morning, and I'll post his thoughts later.

-----------

It will be interesting to see what type of team is dressed for tonight's game against Humboldt. I'd expect to see some, but not all of the veterans on the ice for the Stars. I'll do my best to get a roster posted on the blog before the game. I'll be at the game tonight, and I'll be tweeting the results as they occur.

EDIT: I've just been informed through text message that only one veteran will dress tonight. I'm not sure who yet. But when I find out - You will too.

Quick question: Do you prefer when I tweet results? Or would you rather I do a live blog from the game, similar to that of training camp?

------------

I really enjoyed my conversation with North Star's fourth year forward Tony Oak on last night's Co-Op Leisure Time Sports Fix. He spoke very eloquently about the upcoming season, and had some neat things to say about his first three years in the Battlefords. Here is a brief transcript of your chat from last night's program:

DO: Have the Stars learned their lesson (from last year's playoff defeat), and can they be even better this year?

TO: I can already tell just from camp. Guys who weren't willing to take a hit to make a play last year, are already showing that in camp that they'll gladly take a hit to make a simple pass or a simple chip out. Any veteran on the team has that mindset now that we're going to have to take a beating to get some wins and want to win the big games.

DO: This is a team currently without a captain. Is that a role that you would be comfortable with? And is that an honor that you currently want and are coveting?

TO: Absolutely. I'd definitely be comfortable with that role and it's definitely something that I am striving for, If Ken chooses so, then I would gladly take on that role and I'd enjoy to have it. But I've got to earn it still. Nobody's earned it yet. We'll have to earn it through exhibition season and let Ken make his decision then.

DO: When you look at the returning players. Who is going to be that 'breakout player' who can challenge for the team lead in scoring?

TO: It's going to be a tie between Brett Miller and Blake Tatchell.

DO: How competitive do you expect things to be as the season draws nearer?

TO: I think it's going to be just as competitive as the regular season. We've still got guys fighting for a spot on this team. Guys who think they've got a spot guaranteed in this team, but in the back of their minds they know that there's somebody on the back of their heels challenging for it. We're going to be challenging each other, and challenging other teams cuz we're expected to be one of the best. We want to prove that right away, exhibition season or not, we want to prove that we are the best.

-----------------

More later, I assure you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, good spot to get information all the way out here in Newfoundland. I personally prefer the live blog vs. the Twitter.

Dan O'Connor said...

So do I. I'll do a live-blog for tonight's game.

Anonymous said...

Hi:
Great job!!
We enjoy the live blog as well.

From Newfoundland.