Thursday, September 3, 2009

Broncos Double Stars 6-3

Tonight was a weird night.

The Stars and Broncos went toe-to-toe for the first 40 minutes of the game, and the third period was supposed to be another hard-fought, back and forth affair.

Only problem was:

One team got really lazy, and the other team took advantage.

The Humboldt Broncos won the game. But I think anybody at the game can testify that this didn't have the feel of a 6-3 game. It felt more like a 3-2 game with the more consistent team getting the job done. Thankfully this game didn't mean anything statistically, otherwise there may be a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

The Stars got their goals from Ward Szucki, Josh Daley and Jesse Lebreton. Daley could have very easily scored two more, and his linemate Ryan Andersen had two gorgeous opportunities but failed to capitalize.

Other Stars that stood out to me in a positive way were:

Kolten Baptiste, Ward Szucki, Dusty Iron, Ryan Andersen, Skyler Dunser and Boyd Wakelin.

Humboldt countered with goals from: Evan Kuhar (2), Kendrew Friesen, Troy Gasper, Spencer Baht (2).


When interviewed after the game, coach Ken Pearson said that some impressed him more than others.

"A game situation is a much different thing. Guys can look great at practice and in scrimmages, but now they've got to bring it during an actual game. Some did a better job than others here tonight."

Stars defenceman Brody Malek admitted after the game that everybody in the room is feeling a tinge of nervousness right now.

"You hit it right on the head Dan. Even me, as one of the vets - I know that I've got to be at my best right now because there is so much competition at this camp. We've got to be better defensively, and we've got to simplify things in our own end."

Josh Daley lived up to his North Star Nation poll hype, and seemed very confident after the game.

"After I scored that first goal, I felt a little more confident out there. Hopefully I can put a few more in the net tomorrow night."

Daley also spoke very fondly of his teammates and about the Battlefords early on. I truely think the Stars have a keeper in this guy, but that decision is not up to me, or any of the blog voters!

I'm talking to Ken tomorrow morning before practice, and I will have a lineup for tomorrow night's game against Nipawin.

Thanks for reading guys. Goodnight!

No comments: