Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Busy Day....

I have been up since 4:10 am this morning, but as I sit here typing this blog I can honestly say that it has been worth it. We are one day closer to Friday's opener, another day closer to our home opener, and North Star Nation is officially buzzing.

First things first:

The kick-off breakfast this morning was outstanding. Thank you so much to all of you who attended, and really helped kick off our season the right way. The food was delicous, and the crowd support was easily the best I've seen at a North Star kickoff breakfast.


-----------------------------------------------




The Battlefords North Stars may not be getting Brett Miller back. I discovered today (thanks Kyle for the tip) that Brett Miller has been dealt by the Red Deer Rebels to the Everett Silvertips for a Conditional Pick.

Things didn't seem to work out for Millsy in Red Deer, and we certainly wish him the best of luck with a new atmosphere and a new team in Everett.


----------------------------------------------


The Battlefords North Stars have released 20-year-old forward Ryan Toporowski. Another tough decision from the coaching staff, but he's simply another victim of the numbers game.

I really enjoyed chatting with Ryan over the past few weeks. He's a funny kid, and great in the faceoff circle. I wish him all the best.

----------------------------------------------


I had my first interview with Jordan Lane today. This kid is 'as advertised.' He's big! But he's legit. He's a confident speaker, and seems really excited to be in the Battlefords.

I don't know how willing the rest of the SJHL tough-guys are going to be when it comes to dropping the mitts with Lane, but I'm sure he'll get some challenges sooner than later.

He said that it felt good to practice with the team, and overall he has been impressed with how warmly he's been greeted by the team. You can catch my interview with Lane on the Friday night broadcast of the SJHL Game of the Week on Access 7 Communications.

--------------------------------------------------

Ken Pearson has been on the phone all afternoon, and me thinks that there is something else brewing....

Again, you'll be the first to know when something becomes official.

2 comments:

Pappy said...

New to league and not sure of ruling. I thought that I read somewhere that there was a limit of 20 year olds on a team. Is this true? I see where we have 7.

Dan O'Connor said...

If I'm not mistaken, a team is allowed nine 20 year olds on their active roster, but only 8 are eligable to play per game. Either way the Stars are in good shape.